Lion’s Roar, our flagship magazine and the leading Buddhist publication in the English language, is looking for an assistant editor to combine their professional skills with advancing Buddhist practice and benefiting society at large.
The successful candidate for assistant will be an excellent editor and writer. They will contribute to conversations and the decision-making around stories and visuals. They’ll receive, shepherd, and solicit submissions and act as point-person for special sections and help us integrate our print-focused approach with digital. The assistant will bring professional experience in various writing and editing roles to the table and display an up-to-date grasp of the publishing industry.
Lion’s Roar encourages Black, racialized, and Indigenous people as well as 2SLGBTQ+, newcomers to Canada, and people with disabilities to apply. If you are a member of an equity-deserving group, historically excluded from work opportunities, we encourage you to let us know by self-identifying in your cover letter or resume and to share your pronouns. Those with disabilities will be accommodated on request. We especially welcome qualified candidates with a strong understanding of and connection to Asian American and Asian Canadian Buddhist communities.
Lion’s Roar is a socially-conscious, not-for-profit Buddhist media company. We are committed to making Buddhist teachings and practices more relevant and accessible to diverse communities.
What you’ll do:
- Edit, proofread, and write material for the magazine
- Participate in editorial meetings, including helping to come up with story ideas and ideas for the visuals for stories
- Read, solicit, and respond to submissions, and ensure that contributors receive their comp copies and payments
- Recommend books for review and act as the point of contact for publishers
- Collaborate with digital editors to maximize our potential to reach new audiences
- Identify authors and develop content by, for, and about Asian American Buddhists for all our print, digital, and audio-video platforms, and cultivate relationships with Asian American Buddhist communities and leaders.
What we’re looking for:
- Strong editing, writing, interviewing, and other editorial skills
- Working knowledge of Buddhist philosophy, practice, and communities
- Knowledge of and connection to Asian American Buddhist communities would be an asset
- The ability to make connections, and develop relationships with potential contributors and frame editorial content
- Attention to detail and to developing and maintaining systems that ensure smooth operation in a deadline-driven environment
Salary range: $42,000 to $48,000 CAD commensurate with experience.
Must be eligible to work in Canada. The office is in Halifax, Nova Scotia. We welcome applicants from the local area as well as those who would like to work remotely.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to [email protected] including “Assistant Editor” in the subject line.
Submission deadline: 9 February 2024