Editorial and Publishing Assistant
What’s Lion’s Roar?
Lion’s Roar Foundation is a successful and growing nonprofit that produces print and digital publications on the topic of Buddhist teachings, the North American leader in the field, and we have an excellent summer work opportunity for youth with related talents.
As one of a few people engaged by Lion’s Roar magazine and Buddhadharma: The Practitioner’s Quarterly, you will work in a current day publishing environment, engage with publishing professionals and seasoned editors, and collaborate with coworkers on a variety of different fronts. Depending on your strengths, you’ll do everything from pitching, scripting and executing digital content for our audiences on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, and AV platforms to seeking permissions requests, tracking down ARCs, cleaning up data, and helping out on related projects.
What will I be doing?
- Mining archives for potential content, content providers, and story ideas
- Assisting with LionsRoar.com on basic SEO and site cleanup
- Uploading magazines and creating ToCs in preparation for digital offering
- Transcribing and entering data
- Contributing to e-newsletters
- Copyediting and proofreading
- Sourcing images for online use
- Producing social media
- Digital, audio, and video editing for web and online platforms
What skills do I need?
- Experience with basic web language (HTML)
- Independent problem-solving, critical thinking, and writing
- Attention to detail and ability to work to tight deadlines
- Interpersonal skills
How do I apply?
Salary: $14.50/hour for a maximum of 30 hours/week. Applicants must be eligible to work in Canada and be between the ages of 15 and 30. Please indicate in your letter whether you attended school full time in the 2020/21 school year and plan to return full-time in 2021/22; some of the positions require student status.