The influential Zen teacher Bernie Glassman died Sunday morning in Massachusetts. He was 79 years old. A number of Buddhist teachers have taken to social media to share their appreciation for and memories of Glassman, a vibrant character who had a significant influence on American dharma. Read their words below, and a selection of his teachings on Lion’s Roar.
Roshi Joan Halifax
Glassman empowered Roshi Joan Halifax, founder and Abbot of Upaya Zen Center, in 1999. A memorial service for Glassman will be held on November 14 at 5:30 PM at Upaya Zen Center, officiated by Halifax and Frank Ostaseski.
My beloved community at Upaya offered love to my teacher tonight. He died this morning, and am so grateful that good…
Oh my Buddha….just got news of Bernie Glassman death this morning. Great being, teacher, friend and true…
Rev. Tony Stultz
It is with great sadness I share that my teacher, Bernie Glassman, has passed on…please keep Bernie, his wife and our…
Hozan Alan Senauke
Great Teacher Bernie Glassman passed away early this morning. Our debt to him and the reach of his tender humanity…
Arrived at beautiful Bread Loaf Mountain Zen Community to the sad news that Roshi Bernie Glassman died this morning. I…
James Ishmael Ford
In recognition of his death, Ford published an appreciation of Glassman on Patheos.
I’ve just learned that Bernie Glassman died this morning. He was a signal figure in the establishment of our American…
Woke up still thinking about Bernie Glassman
EJ: ”when we were at Sivananda Retreat in the Bahamas and again last year at Bandara, he gave me one of his favorite cigars.”
Obit in Lions Roar:
Koshin Paley Ellison
With appreciation and care, remembering Roshi Bernie Glassman on this day of his passing. #sotozen #whiteplumasanga
a major loss for the american buddhist community. I saw bernie several times over the years, at large activist events….
The great Zen master Bernie Glassman died today. I only met him once, in 1999, when I did a week-long retreat with him…
San Francisco Zen Center
Roshi Enkyo O’Hara
From our Roshi Enkyo O’Hara:
Our irascible, wise, humble and brilliant Zen Man has passed now into history.
For more on the life and teachings of Bernie Glassman, read his teachings on Lion’s Roar and this selection of related readings:
- “I’ve Got Friends Here”: A photo essay of Greyston’s Issan House
- Glassman Roshi Sees No Boundaries: A 1996 interview with Lion’s Roar editor-in-chief Melvin McLeod
- Bernie Glassman’s Excellent Adventure: A 1997 conversation with Glassman, Sandra Jishu Holmes, and Lion’s Roar editor-in-chief Melvin McLeod
- After His Stroke, Bearing Witness to the Gratitude of Zen Teacher Bernie Glassman: An interview with Glassman from last year
- The Dude and the Zen Master: A profile of the friendship between Glassman and Jeff Bridges
- How to Practice Bearing Witness: An instruction in Glassman’s practice by Jules Shuzen Harris
A selection of teachings by Bernie Glassman:
- The Zen of The Dude: Glassman on koans from The Big Lebowski
- Bearing Witness to All of Life: A teaching by Glassman on the three pure precepts of Zen
- The Three Tenets of the Zen Peacemakers: The core principles of the organization that Glassman and Holmes founded
- There Are No Words: Glassman’s essay on losing his wife
- Make Me One With Everything: A conversation on the role of humor in Buddhist practice